top of page

Canada Immigration - Bridging Open Work Permit 

A bridging open work permit (BOWP) lets you keep working while you wait for the results of your permanent residence application.


The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) allows foreign nationals who are currently working in Canada to extend their work permit while they await a decision on their permanent residency application.


The BOWP is only available to those who have already submitted a permanent residency application and are already in possession of a valid work permit.

quick facts

  • Processing time: 3-4 months

  • Fee: Processing fee $155-$255. 

  • LMIA/Job offer required: No

  • BOWP Validity: 24 months.

  • Minimum requirement: Must be inside Canada with a valid legal status while applying for a BOWP.

What is Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)?


The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) permits foreign people working in Canada to prolong their status while awaiting a decision on their application for permanent immigration. The BOWP is only available to persons who have submitted an application for permanent residency and hold a valid work permit. A successful BOWP application results in an open work permit, allowing the bearer to work for multiple employers in multiple places.

Who can apply for Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)?

To qualify, you must have applied for permanent residency under the FSW (Federal Skilled Worker) Program, CEC (Canadian Experience Class), FST (Federal Skilled Trades) Program, Provincial Nominee Program, or one of the two caregivers’ classes. Under the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot - IRCC may accept applications if they have 24 months or more work experience in Canada and have a valid work permit at the time of submitting the application.


Who else can qualify?

  • People who are in Canada and have already applied under AFP (Agri-Food Pilot) or Start-up Visa (conditions apply).

  • People who reside in Canada with valid temporary resident status

  • People who meet one of the following criteria:

    • hold a valid work permit with valid temporary resident status

    • have submitted to renew their work permit and are on maintained status in Canada

    • are eligible to restore their temporary resident status with authorization to work on a work permit

You must also:

  • currently be in Canada maintaining a legal status, and

  • have a valid Work Permit that will expire in less than four months


Have completed one of the following APR stages depending on the program they are applying to:

  • The Express Entry electronic application for permanent residence has passed the completeness check required by Section 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

  • Section 10 of the IRPR completeness check was passed by APR under the Quebec skilled worker programme.

  • Positive eligibility assessment on their APR submitted by mail or online under the Caring for Children Class, Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class, Agri-Food Pilot, or non-Express Entry PNP stream.

What is the processing time for Work Permit applications?


The processing time for an Bridging Open Work Permit Canada application can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the completeness of the application and how busy the visa office is. However, applicants can expect to receive a decision on their application within 3-6 months.

What documents are required to apply for a Canadian open work permit?


The documents required for a Canadian work permit will depend on the type of work permit you are applying for. Applicants may need to provide the following documents as part of their work permit application:

  • Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) letter

  • Provincial nomination certificate (if applicable)

  • Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) (if applicable)

  • Signed employment contract (if live-in caregiver)

  • Completed application forms

  • Proof of status in Canada

  • Marriage certificate (if applicable)

  • Valid copy of your passport

  • Medical exam results (if requested)

  • Proof of payment for applicable government fees

Need help in applying for a Bridging open work permit? Hire an authorized paid representative.

IMMERGITY Immigration Consultant are very experienced with the application process and can help you navigate the system. We will also provide valuable insights and tips on how to increase your chances of success. Get in touch now.

If you're thinking of hiring a representative, be sure to check that they're authorized by IRCC. You can verify our credentials by clicking here.

Hiring a representative is not required, but it can be helpful, especially if you're not familiar with the application process. If you decide to hire a representative, be sure to choose someone who you trust and who you feel comfortable working with.

bottom of page