top of page

Canada Immigration - Extend your Study Permit

The expiration date on your study permit indicates when you must stop studying and leave Canada.

The expiry date is located in the top right corner of your permit. This date is usually 90 days plus the length of your study program. The additional 90 days allows you to plan your departure or extend your stay in Canada.

quick facts

  • Processing time: 67 calendar days

  • Fees: C$150.00

  • Apply 30 days before expiry of original study permit.

How can I renew or extend my study permit?


Renewal/ Extension:

If you plan to extend your study permit, you need to apply for an extension at least 30 days before the expiry of your original study permit. You will not be able to extend your study permit beyond your passport’s expiry date, so make sure that you have a passport with enough validity. 

While a decision is being made on your renewal application, you can remain in Canada while adhering to the conditions mentioned on the original study permit. 

If your study permit expires, and you haven’t applied for an extension, you must leave Canada unless you have a valid status to remain in Canada. 


If your study permit has already expired , you may apply to restore your status as a student. To apply, you must

  • submit your application within 90 days of expiry of your recent study permit

  • keep meeting the requirements for your stay

  • have met all the conditions listed on your permit, and

  • pay your fees


You can’t study until your study permit is restored.


If you want to stay in Canada but you’re no longer studying


You have a few options—you can


If your study permit expires and you haven’t applied for an extension, you must leave Canada.

Can I work while waiting for my study permit renewal?


When you apply for an extension or renewal (at least 30 days before the expiry) you will be in implied status and can continue to work while meeting the conditions of your original study permit. You can not work if you permit expired and you applied for a restoration of status.

Need help in applying for a Study Permit for Canada? Hire an authorized paid representative.

IMMERGITY Immigration Consultant are very experienced with the application process and can help you navigate the system. We will also provide valuable insights and tips on how to increase your chances of success. Get in touch now.

If you're thinking of hiring a representative, be sure to check that they're authorized by IRCC. You can verify our credentials by clicking here.

Hiring a representative is not required, but it can be helpful, especially if you're not familiar with the application process. If you decide to hire a representative, be sure to choose someone who you trust and who you feel comfortable working with.

bottom of page