top of page

Canada Immigration - Co-op and Internship Program

Co-op and internship programs in Canada are work experience programs that allow students to gain paid work experience related to their field of study while they complete their post-secondary education.


These programs can help students make the transition from school to work, and provide them with the opportunity to explore different career options. Co-op and internship programs typically last for four to eight months, and may be full-time or part-time.

quick facts

  • Processing time: 8-12 weeks

  • Fees: C$150.00

What are the requirements to apply for a co-op work permit in Canada?

You may be eligible to apply for a co-op work permit if:


You are not eligible for a co-op work permit if you’re taking one of the following:

  • English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL),

  • general interest courses, or

  • courses to prepare for another study program.


If you’re not eligible for a co-op work permit, but you want to work in Canada, you need to apply for a work permit.

How to apply for co-op and internship programs in Canada?

There are 2 ways to apply for co-op and internship programs in Canada.

  1. While applying for a study permit, include the Letter of Acceptance(LOA) from your Designated Learning Institute (DLI). This letter must state that co-op work is essential to completion of your study program. Upon approval you will be issued a co-op work permit along with your study permit for Canada.

  2. If you have already applied for a study permit, you need to submit a new application for a co-op work permit in Canada. 

Please note: Outside Canada Study Permit Applicants

If you haven’t applied for a co-op work permit yet:

If you are applying from outside of Canada, you cannot submit a separate application for a co-op work permit from your study permit application.

If your study permit application is still being processed:

You can use the online form to submit a new letter of acceptance proving that you have been accepted into a program with a required work component if your study permit application is still being processed and you need a co-op work permit.

If your study permit has already been granted:

You can still finish a co-op placement outside of Canada even if your study permit has already been approved and you don't have a co-op work permission to complete the required job component of your program. Without a co-op work visa, you cannot finish a co-op placement in Canada.

How to find Co-op work and internship opportunities in Canada?

The most common way is to contact the company or organization directly and inquire about their program. Many companies have websites that list their current openings and requirements.

Another way to find out about co-op and internship opportunities is through your Designated Learning Institute's (DLI)'s career center. Many schools maintain relationships with businesses and organizations and can help connect students with opportunities.

There are also many websites that list co-op and internship programs. These can be a great way to search for programs in your field of interest.

Finally, don’t forget to network! Talk to friends, family, and professionals in your field to see if they know of any co-op or internship opportunities. Sometimes the best way to find a great opportunity is through someone you know.

Need help in applying for a Study Permit for Canada? Hire an authorized paid representative.

IMMERGITY Immigration Consultant are very experienced with the application process and can help you navigate the system. We will also provide valuable insights and tips on how to increase your chances of success. Get in touch now.

If you're thinking of hiring a representative, be sure to check that they're authorized by IRCC. You can verify our credentials by clicking here.

Hiring a representative is not required, but it can be helpful, especially if you're not familiar with the application process. If you decide to hire a representative, be sure to choose someone who you trust and who you feel comfortable working with.

bottom of page